Monday Discourse Notes: 01/04/13
If the slave of God wishes to make a stand against the shaitan and nafs. Nothing can stand in his way, nothing can detract him from attaining the nearness of Allah Azzawajal. Those who fall victim to the temptations of the devil, it is because they have let themselves become slaves of the devil.
– In the Quran Allah calls us to recognise who we are. The value of the human soul and the honour we have been given. He Azzawajal has given us the episode of Adam and the angels to see and understand. The angels who are considered one of the elite creations of Allah were made to bow down to a human, the father of mankind, Syyiduna Adam (as). Humans are the jewel of creation.
– Generally we let ourselves wilfully (in some cases) become victims of the devil and his entourage. We assume they (the party of the devil) have too much power and influence over us. Undoubtedly there are the temptations and distractions in the world. But just as there is evil on one side, there is also goodness on the other side. The support and guidance from the pious and is also there for anyone who seeks to find them.
– For example a honey bee will find a flower to sit on, no matter where it goes. Whereas a fly will only seek out the dirt and dung to sit on. Similarly people are also like this. People who are drug addicts will find other drug addicts no matter where ever they go. In the same token people who are pious will also seek out and find other pious people of the locality.
– Jesus (AS) once said: the world has already killed everyone, those alive and those dead, the poor and rich. Look at what has happened to kings of previous nations and of present. Monarchies fall and rise then fall again. The dunya has not done a favour to anyone by letting them live forever. All had to go from this world!
– The dunya is like snake, if the poison is not removed it is lethal. If the venom is removed from the snake it become’s harmless. The path of ihsan takes the venom of dunya out of the hearts of people but does not take them out of dunya.
As imam Shajizili once said:
“We do not take people out of dunya but dunya out of people’s hearts”.
A friend of Allah was once asked by a person, ‘how can i stay away from heedlessness from the remembrance of Allah ?’
The waliullah replied ‘to escape from heedlessness one should build 5 walls of fortification around himself. This will keep him safe from forgetfulness of the righteous path:
1) Earn halal provisions, work to earn a livelihood. After you have attained the fruits of your labour (rizq), do not seek more than what you need. Do not become blind and be like those to live to earn and do not earn to live! -To do so will put into jeopardy your first priority in life. This is the religion of Islam. To seek more dunya, it will force you to make Islam a secondary priority in life. Slowly you will stop seeing the halal from haram in order to fulfil this desire.
2) Constantly remember death is waiting for you like a guest. When a guest comes to your house. No matter what you do in your house, your mind is constantly aware of the awaiting guest.
3) Third aspect is to know there are certain rights of Allah on every muslim that no one else can fulfil them other than yourself; A person cannot pray, believe in Allah or abide by his laws for you other than you.
4) whatever you do in life remember Allah is with you and watching your every move and every deed, small or big.
5) Laslty, know that with every breath you take, your life span is diminishing. The countdown to your life is decreasing quickly, before you you will meet death.
When a servant of Allah will break down or destroy any of these walls of fortification.Hhe will become once more prone to heedlessness from the remembrance of Allah Azzawajal.