Discourse notes: Monday 3/12/12
When you call a person to come to you and don’t get a response from him. You call again ‘come here please’. Yet, again if the person does not respond. You begin to think maybe he has not heard you and so you call again. Yet still, he does not respond. Instead he says, ‘I can hear you and know you are calling me’. When you ask him ‘then why don’t you come to me. When I am calling you?’. He just replies as before ‘ I know you are calling me,’. You will begin to think that the person must either be insane or does not understand what you are saying to him.
Similarly, when we hear the naseeha of piety, we only keep on saying ‘yes we know every time’. But, do not want to act on the knowledge of Islam. When we hear, and have heard the Hadith countless times. That Allah descends to the first heaven at the last part of the night, we just say keep on saying ‘yes I know this Hadith’, but do not bother to wake up and act on the hadith. This is why the prophet (saw) said ‘seek refuge from useless knowledge’. (Paraphased Hadith)
– Ilmi nafi is knowledge that makes you act, beneficial knowledge.
– Ilmi ghair nafi is knowledge which is just information. This does not make you want to act. The non-beneficial knowledge.
– The word ‘khalifah’ has three meanings:
1) Is to give someone authority
2) They follow the law of the land. – lead from behind so to speak.
3) when someone is given authority.
For instance, the police have been given authority by the queen. They lead by following the laws of the land and lastly, they have authority.
In the same light Allah has given us authority and made us his khalifah on this earth.
– So what is the responsibility Allah gave to humans?
This is the freedom of will. To be able to choose between good and evil, to do what he wants. This authority is not only whilst the human is on earth. But, he can have this freedom of will, in paradise as well provided he earns it. However, if he abuses this freedom of will. He will be subjugated in hell, to the commands and instructions of the angels. He will not be able to do anything in his free will. The catch is, if people can use their freedom of will rightfully on earth he will be given a greater freedom of will in paradise. So, he can go where he pleases, do what he pleases.
Otherwise how can a person who can’t drive properly be given a better car to drive? – Even with the little amount of freedom of will we have on earth. We will destroy paradise with that, if we were admitted into paradise today. This is the sad state of affairs we are in!
So the question comes, if Allah does not need to eat, drink, or sleep. Then how can we follow him. Or, be his representatives? The answer is, this is why he sent us the prophets to follow as role models.
– There are some cases we can still follow Allah; being kind, merciful, and loving, for example. These are qualities of Allah. This does not mean we can have the qualities of Allah & become god like. But, it means that the qualities of Allah can be reflected in us. By adopting these qualities.
-When a new baby is born, adhaan is said in his ears. Once this is done, tahneeq is done. Which is something sweet is given to the baby to taste. On the physiological level, dawah is given to the baby saying, ‘if you live by the laws of Allah. Your life will be sweet’.
– one of the tricks satan employs on people is, giving excuses for being lazy. Know that a person who keeps making excuses for his sins, it will be difficult for him to change for the better. For the devil himself used to make excuses. He made excuses for not bowing to Adam (as) for example. Whereas Adam (as) did not do make excuses when he mistakingly ate from the forbidden tree . He owned up to his doing. And, look how his situation changed for the better. – The time when a person begins to blame himself for his wrongs. This will be the time when change will begin to occur. He can change for the better
– People who live in foreign lands have more resemblance and guidance in the sirah of the prophet (saw). Than those who are living in Muslim lands. Because most of their lives, the companions and the prophet (saw). lived among the non-Muslims.