The path to Allah azzwajal is based on 5 points.
The path to Allah azzwajal is based on 5 points.
This is from the message given by the messagers of Allah ﷻ then later further explained by the friends of Allah.
1. Is to know where you have come from, your history, identity and purpose.
-1.A identity crisis can happen when a person just follows the crowd whatever they do, he does.
– 1. B. -Another one is, nationality; and based on this a person can go to extreme in helpingor not people.
– 1.C Another one is culture, language and cast – all these can lead to harm and difficulties if someone does not know his identity. When this is clear in a person’s head its clear what he or she should do.
A person who goes to work clearly knows he’s identity and where he is in the organisation and acts accordingly and knows he has a boss etc. Same with a person who enters a palace and know he is a chef and will act accordingly; someone who does not know this will act like the king and ministers of the palace and get sacked or kicked out.
This is what the devil did, he assumed he was a creation of ‘good’ and can do no wrong therefore acted without knowing his true identity.
2. Once the identity of the person is known then a person should know who his creator is, and this is done by knowing his attributes and sifats of Alah ﷻ. A person must know about Allah on a minimum level- Knowing about the names and attributes is different to living by the experience of sifats. Many people know about the functions of a phone but hardly use all of them. Whereas others use the names of Allah for their own benefits and nafs like knowing about Ar Razzaq; if they read 1000 times for example will get more rizq and benefits; not to get close to Allah.
3. Knowing the realities of the creation – from the world of the spirits to this world and beyond, time and space etc. – Once you know its realities then you will be ready for what’s to come. The example is a person on the immigration desk who knows to have his passport ready for inspection and if he thinks that is a coffee shop then he will be lost and cause disruption.
Syyiduna Sufyan رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ mentioned he knew his identity from his slave he had bought from the market once. His students asked ‘how?’
‘When I bought him home I asked him what is your name?’ He said The slave answered ‘Does a slave have a name? I will be whatever you call me’.
So Syyiduna Sufyan رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ asked ‘what do you like to eat, sleep, clothing, and working patterns?’ The slave answered ‘I will like eat, wear and work when ever you tell me to do’. I then learnt I should be like this towards Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ.
Identity crisis puts the things a slave should do on the creator and places the duties of the creator on the slave. E.g when Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ says he will provide we expect him to give it to us without effort and we are the king i.e the roles are flipped.
The friends of Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ their true identity and act accordingly as Allah says his friends respond with ‘peace’ when confronted by troublesome people. A man came to a Shadhili shaykh and complained all his life has finished, wife left, job left children do not respect, failed job, lost house etc.. his shaykh answered ‘with one sentence all your problems will vanish’. The student said ‘what zikr is this?’
‘It is not a zikr but something to understand’. The answer is ‘the real life has not even began yet and you are wailing you life has finished. Let this settle in you that your real life has not even began yet. You are in a test yet, and know what is this place’, his shaykh said.
The messenger of Allah ﷺ said Ya Allah ﷻ give the alhe bayt enough rizq to live comfortably. (Paraphased) This is a special dua for them so they will live by only what is required to transfer from this Life to the next. The messenger of Allah ﷺ had mentioned that a man who has a house, wife and a mount to use (like a car, hourses in the olden times) then he has a good (comfortable) life.
‘When Allah takes everything away from you it is Allah saying he has secluded you from everything to connect with him’. – Syyiduna Abdal Qadir Jilani رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ.
Another realisation is people say ‘I can’t stop this, I am addicted to this etc’. The answer is, whatever attracts you the most then this is the key through which the pleasure of Allah will be met. So if you love women, money a lot then by sacrificing these things then your closeness to Allah will be through this as Allah has said when you sacrifice the most closest thing to you this is where you closeness is. (Paraphased).
4. Knowing your purpose; obedience to Allah and serving the creation. Not knowing our objectives an purpose is causing chaos to the whole world.
5. The last one is when all the above is done how to achieve the purpose; attaining the closeness and pleasure of Allah – purpose of Life. In short the Messenger of Allah ﷺ is the one and only.
In conclusion, the two keys to realising your identity is:
1. Realising the real life has not began and
2. The sacrifices you need to give to get the pleasure of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ – what attracts you most women, money etc then sacrificing that for Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ.