Itkhaf dawah seminar #4
Notes from “knowing the path to Allah & conveying it to others, series 2011″ 24/8/11 notes from the discourse:
Mujahadah (striving) for the betterment of character.
In this talk the beginning areas deal with the misconceptions and myths associated with mujahadah (struggle). Many people think only wishing will take them to their destination. That one will not have to put in any effort into reaching the goal. We learn what is mujahadah and what conditions are required to be fulfilled inorder for our effort to bare fruits. Unfortunately many people under go very strict lifestyles e.g they eat very little, talk very little etc. But, the hard work bares no fruits. The simple reason is because they have not and are not fully gong the conditions for mujahadah (struggle) for it to be useful! Amongst the other things discussed are the inappropriate and incorrect understanding people have regarding the issue with regards to being a shaykh – who can and Connor be a shaykh – pious and rightous servant of Allah.
1) The misconception people have regarding the stations of waliyat (friendship) of Allah is:
– it has become a family inheritance issue on many cases, especially within the Indian – subcontinent areas. Where if a person in a family was a good, pious, and a rightous friend of Allah, then the next generations who come thereafter occupy the seat of waliyat even though they do not fulfill the conditions of being a shaykh. (although however the son/daughter of a friend of Allah, can be his inheritor) this is the not the case always!
– The stations of waliyat (friendship) with Allah is not a family business. – that when the father retires, his son takes over the business.
– The stations of prophethood is the proof that not always the sons of the prophets were always prophets. Then how can the so called wali (friend) claim to do this.
-We learn this point from the son of Nuh (as) who was not even a Muslim yet his father was a great prophet of Allah.
The prophets and the true shaykhs NEVER claimed this to be a family business! – that to be a shaykh you must have some background of spirituality (someone in your family must be a shaykh)
Like there have been false prophets, there will undoubtedly be fake and false ‘pirs’ (shaykhs) aswell.
[the exact replica of the sandals of al - Habib al - mustafa (sallahualihiwasalam)]
2) Misconceptions of bayah:
-It is not needed for a person to place his hands in another hand (of the shaykh) for bayah. This is not needed to be done all the time. What is it then?
A) the true essence of bayah is when a person who has company of a teacher for a while he gets
his teachings, learns it himself, then he goes and propergates it. This bayah, this is how the companions performed bayah. Although the first type of bayah mentioned above (giving hand in hand) is allowed. It is NOT however a required measure that one must do it like this (by giving hand in hand) if he/she wants to travel in the path!
3) what and who is a mureed?
We are all and only mureeds of Allah and no one else.
A mureed is a person who intends to travel to Allah. (who makes the intention to travel) The shaykh only facilitates this travel to Allah
-the 3 conditions for struggle. (mujahadah)
1) Seeking Allah’s help (I am weak ya Allah so help me!)
2) be willing to sacrifice. (by making dua to Allah to help you to sacrifice when and where required)
3) try to do whatever is in your capability to avoid the sins (using your willpower) All these 3 conditions are derived from the story of Yusuf (as) where
1) zulaika invited him him to a evil environment. – this is where he sought the help of Allah. As he was in a trap.
2) he made a dua to Allah that he prefered the prisons instead of the sin of zina.
3) he ran towards the doors despite knowing the doors were heavily locked and guarded. – doing what was in his capabilities and therefore the help of Allah arrived.
[in a sinful environment, we are only asked to do what is in our capabilities] nothing more. If one is in a sinful environment and you cannot change it, then do not take pleasure of the sin being committed there.
4) **Taqdeer comes from the word qadr: which means-
Knowledge and power of Allah (swt). This is nothing to do with our abilities etc. It simply means it a thing (anything) in the knowledge of Allah. – which does not and will not interfer with OUR actions.
The parts of taqdeer which we are not responsible for, Allah has said like: our provisions, how we look etc, we will not be held accountable for.
However, what we are responsible for, we will be held to account. For example choosing the right from the wrong. – for this we have our free will to choose what we want to do. For example, everyone know what will happen if someone brakes the laws of land. Which is, the individual will go to prison. Now, if the person brakes the law thinking “im going to go to prison anyway because the law knows it”, does not make sense. – many people claim they have sinned or are evil because it is in the knowledge (it’s because of taqdeer) of Allah. They try and lay the blame on Allah and save themselves from any blame.
Dawah Seminar #4.pdf
Servant of Allah.