First night of Ramadan.
1st August 2011
Notes from the discourse of Shaykh Ahmad Dabbagh.
Sura fatihah is a question which we ask Allah, and Allah’s answer to this question is the entire Quran.
First lesson we get from the Quran is that we must negate our knowledge and admit we are nothing. That we no nothing. This is found with the beginning of Alif Lam Meem. No one knows the interpretation of these few ayah. Except to whom Allah gives the understanding. This clearly shows we must admit and submit ourselves to Allah, by declaring we know nothing. Only then will Allah help and guide us.
Secondly, we learn that Allah says this is a book of guidance only for those who wants guidance. This means that one who does not wish to receive guidance will not be guided. He/she will have to take the first step. You have to become a muttaqi (a god fearing person) if you want guidance. When one attains taqwa then he/she will only attain the guidance of the Quran.
You see many people who have memorised the Quran and can read smoothly but their lifestyles have not changed. This is proof that one who does not fulfill the first two conditions will not be guided. Just as the Salah has pre-conditions which is for example to be in the state of wudu. In order for the Salah to be accepted. Same is the situation with the person who wants to be guided. He has to:
1) submit to Allah – by negating your own knowledge and believe as though you know nothing in front of Allah.
2) must attain taqwa in-order to unlock the jewels of the Quran.
Now the question rises how do we attain taqwa in order to attain guidance from Quran. This is done by:
1) removing the love/admiration of the dunya from our hearts.
2) to have the correct aqeedah (beliefs) of what Allah wants us to believe in.
3) to establish ourselves in the 5 established prayers. – just as we submit our entire bodies to Allah in Salah. In the same light we have to submit ourselves completely after/out of Salah.
4) to have compassion upon the creation. Spending time, money, intellect etc. To spend these aspects in the service of creation.
5) by believing and following in everything that the best of creation brought.
6) by establishing a connection with the friends of Allah. Stay in their company as they are the reflection of the prophet (saw)
7) having a firm conviction in the hereafter and not the dunya.
**A person who continually sins a black veil is erected in front of his eyes, ears, and Hearts. This is why when they hear the good advice they fail to appreciate the advises**
From this we can find three types of people:
1) those who are muttaqi who get lessons from the Quran.
2) those who don’t.
3) the third being the hypocrites.